For more information about our program, please contact Toni L. Garza, C-TAGME, program coordinator, at (912) 350-3595.
How to apply
- ERAS: 2201211080
- NRMP: 1971220C0
Welcome from our Program Director
Welcome to the Mercer University School of Medicine (Savannah) Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency Program at Memorial Health University Medical Center. Thank you for your interest in our residency training program.
We are very proud of our educational program. We provide excellent clinical and academic training for physicians seeking residency in obstetrics and gynecology.
The Memorial Health University Medical Center Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency Program’s mission is to develop the next generation of physicians and physician leaders. As a part of HCA Healthcare, we are driven by a single mission: Above all else, we are committed to the care and improvement of human life.
This program is designed to offer residents a rewarding, educational environment where residents are provided individualized learning opportunities by faculty and staff who support and sustain one another throughout quality care delivery. Our faculty are committed to ensuring the residents' clinical experience and educational needs are fulfilled while expanding residents’ perspectives to be inclusive of cultures, values, and ideals.
The Mercer University School of Medicine Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency Program, located at Memorial Health University Medical Center in Savannah, Georgia, provides excellent clinical, academic, and practice opportunities for physicians seeking residency training in obstetrics and gynecology.
Features of the program include:
- Clinic within the hospital with a full range of equipment and facilities
- 8,500 ambulatory care visits per year
- 3,000 deliveries per year
- 1,500 surgical procedures with resident participation per year
- 18-member full-time obstetrics and gynecology physician faculty, who specialize in maternal-fetal medicine, gynecologic oncology, female pelvic medicine & reconstructive surgery, and reproductive endocrinology & infertility
- Surgical skills laboratory with Fundamentals of Laparoscopic Surgery (FLS) onsite
- Academic curriculum which incorporates the latest trends in OB/GYN curriculum
Get to Know the Team
Karen T. Baker, MD
Curriculum & Rotation Schedule
Our expertly crafted programs are designed to provide resident physicians with all the experiences and training necessary for professional success.
- From Sunday through Thursday night, an upper-level resident (PGY-3 or 4), a second-year resident, and an intern rotate on night float, making the total in-house team three residents.
- Our interns and PGY-2 residents are on call on weekends, alternating between a 24-hour Saturday call and a Friday night/Sunday day 12-hour call.
- Weekends consist of a three-resident team: one intern (see intern schedule below), a second-year, and a chief (PGY-3 or 4). The gyn-oncology chief hands over the oncology pager throughout the week to the night float, and rounds on the oncology service when on his/her own weekend call. The weekend team covers gyn-oncology patients when the gyn-oncology chief has the weekend off.
During the December holidays, the call schedule is covered by a “mega rounds” schedule. Residents have seven days on and seven days off. Residents work either day or night shifts.
Participation in research is encouraged. One research project is mandatory and is presented orally at the end of the PGY-4 year as a grand rounds presentation.