Above all else, we are committed to the care and improvement of human life.
We make a difference by providing compassionate care to those we are privileged to serve.
Program purpose statement
The NSH PGY1 residency program builds upon Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) education and outcomes to develop pharmacist practitioners with knowledge, skills, and abilities as defined in the educational competency areas, goals and objectives. Residents who successfully complete PGY1 residency programs will be skilled in diverse patient care, practice management, leadership, and education, and be prepared to provide patient care, seek board certification in pharmacotherapy (i.e., BCPS) and pursue advanced education and training opportunities, including postgraduate year two (PGY2) residencies.
About HCA Florida Northside Hospital
Serving the community since 1976, HCA Florida Northside Hospital is a 288-bed hospital offering a full range of services including comprehensive and interventional stroke care, preventative and corrective cardiac care, full service orthopedic and spine treatment, an ER 24/7®, and general surgery.
As one of the first hospitals in the area to achieve Atrial Fibrillation Certification (SCPC), our technologically advanced hospital allows our highly skilled physicians, nursing, and caregivers to serve our growing community. HCA Florida Northside Hospital is the first nationally recognized Comprehensive Stroke Center in Pinellas County and is nationally recognized for quality and safety by earning an ‘A’ Patient Safety grade from the Leapfrog Group. Our employees voted us a Tampa Bay Times Top Workplace in 2020.
With campus-based specialized services including the Tampa Bay Heart Institute and the Neuroscience Institute for Interventional Neuroradiology and neurologic care, HCA Florida Northside Hospital continues to enhance and expand its services to better serve the community.
Our experienced HCA Florida Northside Hospital pharmacists are part of a collaborative care team.
Pharmacy services include:
- Antimicrobial stewardship
- Anticoagulation dosing and monitoring
- Total parenteral nutrition support
We leverage technologies such as:
- Smart infusion pumps
- Expansive use of automated dispensing
- Bedside barcode scanning
- Clinical pharmacy workflow systems
- CPOE/eMAR to promote safe medication practices
HCA Florida Northside Hospital is a dedicated teaching hospital offering Graduate Medical Education programs:
- Internal Medicine Residency
- Cardiology Fellowship
Eligibility and application
- Applicants must be graduates or candidates for graduation from an Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) accredited doctor of pharmacy program.
- Licensed or eligible to apply for a license to practice pharmacy in the state of Florida. All being selected residents MUST be licensed in the state of Florida within 90 days from the start of the residency.
- Participate in the ASHP Residency Matching Program
- Completed application submitted to PhORCAS prior to January 3, and include:
- Letter of intent
- Copy of pharmacy school transcript
- Three professional references/evaluations submitted via PhORCAS
- Curriculum vitae
Considerations during the selection process will include professional competence, achievements, communication skills, and leadership potential. An interview with HCA Florida Northside Hospital is required. Information regarding interview format will be provided with the interview invitation.
- Major research project
- Manuscript of project, which must be eligible for journal publishing
- Poster presentation at ASHP Midyear Meeting
- Presentation at Florida Residency Conference
- One 1 hour Continuing Education seminar
- Two GME Noon Conference Presentations
- Clinical pharmacist staffing coverage every other weekend in addition to one major and one minor holiday
PGY1 clinical rotations
Clinical rotations include required rotations to develop skill sets as a generalist as well as elective rotations to allow the residents to tailor the program to their areas of interest.
Core rotations include the following:
- Orientation (4 weeks)
- Infectious Disease I (4 weeks)
- Internal Medicine I (4 weeks)
- Internal Medicine II (4 weeks)
- Critical Care I (4 weeks)
- Critical Care II (4 weeks)
- Emergency Medicine (4 weeks)
- Pharmacy Administration (4 weeks)
Elective rotations include the following:
- Emergency Medicine II
- Infectious Disease II
- Pediatrics (HCA Florida Oak Hill Hospital or HCA Florida Brandon Hospital)
- Trauma Intensive Care (HCA Florida Blake Hospital)
- Transplant (HCA Florida Largo Hospital)
- Neonatal Intensive Care (HCA Florida Oak Hill Hospital or HCA Florida Brandon Hospital)
- Burn Intensive care (HCA Florida Blake Hospital)
Salary, benefits and working conditions
Detailed information about salary, benefits and amenities will be provided to pharmacy residents by Human Resources.
- Competitive stipend
- Program duration: 12 months
- Start Date: July 1
- 10 days of paid time off (PTO)
- Approved educational and professional leave to attend ASHP Midyear Clinical Meeting and the Florida Residency Conference. Financial assistance is provided for travel, meals and lodging.
- Residents are eligible for health benefits as full-time pharmacist employees of Northside Hospital
- 401K matching
- Liability coverage
- Office space and resources
- Entertainment, health, shopping, and other discounts and amenities via HCA Rewards
- Onsite parking
Learn more about the Pharmacy Residency team at HCA Florida Northside Hospital. Each member has a unique background that brings a diverse mix of experience and training to our program.
If you have any questions about the Pharmacy Residency Program, our hospital or our community, please feel free to contact: