Welcome from our Program Director
We would like to warmly welcome you to the Riverside Community Hospital (RCH) emergency medicine residency program. RCH is a teaching hospital hosting over 400 medical student rotations from UC Riverside School of Medicine as well as other schools and serves as a regional referral center for higher level of care. All our faculty hold faculty appointments with the UC Riverside School of Medicine. We are a level 1 trauma center, comprehensive thrombectomy capable stroke center, and a high-volume STEMI center. The emergency department sees over 100, 000 patients yearly with 20,000 pediatric visits.
About our program
Welcome to the Emergency Medicine Residency Program at Riverside Community Hospital (HCA Healthcare Riverside). We offer a unique three-year EM program at an academic center with high patient volume and acuity all located in a supportive and collegial tertiary care
A few of our outstanding features:
- Over 100,000 patients yearly
- Level 1 trauma center
- Comprehensive thrombectomy capable stroke center
- STEMI Center
- Highest volume ambulance receiving hospital in Riverside County
- Teaching hospital hosting over 450 medical student rotations from UCR as well as other schools
- All faculty hold appointments with the UC Riverside School of Medicine
- Superb EM faculty with decades of teaching experience and specialty interests in EMS, ED Administration, Ultrasound, Pediatric EM, Public Health, Tactical Medicine, Resident Wellness, and Event Medicine
- Unparalleled procedural opportunities with a very high patient volume to resident ratio
- Robust pediatric experience at our site, Riverside University Health System, Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, and Children’s Hospital Orange County.
- Mission-driven to serve the patient population of the Inland Empire
- The only department in the nation to receive the ACEP Wellness Center of Excellence Award in 2022 in recognition of our wellness initiatives.
Curriculum & Rotation Schedule
Our expertly crafted programs are designed to provide resident physicians with all the experiences and training necessary for professional success.
The Emergency Medicine Residency program’s mission is to develop the next generation of physicians and physician leaders. As a part of HCA Healthcare, we are driven by a single mission: Above all else, we are committed to the care and improvement of human life.
This program is designed to offer residents a rewarding, educational environment where residents are provided individualized learning opportunities by faculty and staff who support and sustain one another throughout quality care delivery. Our faculty are committed to ensuring the residents' clinical experience and educational needs are fulfilled while expanding residents’ perspectives to be inclusive of cultures, values, and ideals.
Get to know the team
Jason An, MD, FACEP
Designated Institutional Official
Program Director Emergency Medicine Residency
Riverside Community Hospital
Welcome to Riverside Community Hospital (RCH), home of the RCH EM Residency Program and the University of California Riverside (UCR) School of Medicine EM Clerkship!
We hope you have a great experience working with our fantastic faculty, residents, nurses, and staff in our busy, high-volume ED. RCH is a 517-bed level 1 trauma center, comprehensive thrombectomy-capable stroke center, and STEMI receiving center located in the heart of downtown Riverside. We care for over 100,000 patients a year through our expansive ED.
We offer 4-week rotations for students with block schedules available on Clinician Nexus. Please search for "Riverside Community Hospital Emergency Medicine" while searching for rotations. Medical student shifts are 8 hours. Final grades will be determined based on a combination of evaluations, completion of procedure checklists, and a final presentation (optional; however, required to be eligible for a grade of honors). All students who rotate with us are eligible for a standardized letter of recommendation (SLOE) from our department.
Some highlights about the EM clerkship:
- EM Residency Didactics - Students are required to attend weekly didactics with EM faculty and residents in the GME conference room
- Medical Student Didactics - Student-centered didactics with EM faculty and residents are focused on approaching common chief complaints in the ED with emphasis on emergent management
- Ultrasound Conference (optional) - Students have the opportunity to participate in ultrasound didactics, scanning Q/A sessions, and hands-on training with different scanning modalities with the RCH Clinical Ultrasound Fellowship team
- Procedures - Students will have experience with basic procedures including peripheral IV placement and obtaining electrocardiograms (ECG) and emergent procedures including intubation, central line placement, and many others!
- Simulation Experience - Students will participate in team-based resuscitations and procedural sessions at our state-of-the art simulation center
For students interested in applying for funding to rotate at RCH, there is an opportunity with the Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion + Advocacy (JEDI) Scholarship. Students can apply for a chance to receive up to $2000, which can be applied towards housing, travel, etc. Students that are accepted for a rotation can send a letter of intent demonstrating past and future commitment to advocacy, justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion. More information will be provided upon acceptance of the rotation.
If you have any questions or concerns about the rotation, please feel free to contact us or the EM clerkship coordinator, Makatzin Magallanes. Remember, we are here to help you succeed and we look forward to working with you!
Your clerkship team,
John Costumbrado, MD, MPH, FACEP
Assistant Clinical Professor, UCR School of Medicine
RCH EM Medical Student Clerkship Director
Email John Christian Costumbrado
Medical Student Clerkship Coordinator
HCA Healthcare Riverside Graduate Medical Education
EM Residency Chief Residents
For additional information:
- Instagram: emriverside
- Facebook: emriverside
- Twitter: @emriverside1
- Mission driven to care for the underserved patient population in our community
- Hybrid academic/community/county experience
- High volume and high acuity real world emergency medicine experience
- Excellent procedural experience from day one
- Affiliation with HCA, Vituity, and UCR School of Medicine
- Robust pediatric experience through partnership with CHOC, CHLA, and RUHS
- Culture of Wellness: The only department to receive the ACEP Wellness Center of Excellence Award in 2022
- 401K Plan with Match
- Market-adjusted salary to support the cost of living
- Flexible Healthcare Spending Account
- 4 weeks of paid time off
- EMRA/Cal ACEP and ACEP Membership
- 6-month access to Uworld for Step 3
- USMLE Step 3 Registration
- California Medical License
- DEA License
- Orientation stipend of $1,000
- M-Modal Real-Time Dictation Software
- Fall/Spring Retreat
- Meals and travel for away rotation
- Cal-ACEP Conference: PGY1
- ACEP Conference: PGY3
- iPhone, Laptop
- Free on-site parking
- 24-hour access to Meals and Drinks
- RCH Gym
- EMRAP, EM Abstracts
- Rosh Review with extended access through graduation
- HIPPO EM Board Review, HIPPO Qbank
- Core Ultrasound Qbank and Fundamentals
- Online access to Rosen’s, Roberts and Hedges
- White Coats, Scrubs, Residency Jacket
- 6 weeks of Paid Parental Leave
- 2022 ACEP Wellness Center of Excellence Award
- Positive psychology approach to well being
- An evidence-based approach to wellness utilizing self-determination theory and job demands/resources theory
- Partnership with Organizational Psychology experts
- Automatic opt-in therapy for residents
- Creation of Physician Wellness Research Lab in partnership with Claremont Graduate University
- Approximately 20,000 pediatric visits at RCH.
- Pediatric Emergency Medicine subspecialty-trained faculty
- PGY2 PEM rotation at CHLA
- PGY2 PICU rotation at RUHS
- PGY3 PEM rotation at CHOC
- Guest speakers from CHOC, CHLA, RUHS, and USC
Yes, moonlighting is allowed starting in your PGY2 year.
Our grads have been placed into highly desirable locations such as LA/Santa Monica, Bay Area, San Diego, Inland Empire, Las Vegas, Seattle, Portland, and Nashville.
We leverage our large network of emergency departments through our partnership with HCA and Vituity for job placement.
- Some of our fellowship matches include:
- Critical Care at Medical College of Wisconsin
- Critical Care at UCSF
- EM US at RCH
- Hospice and Palliative Care at Mayo Clinic, MN
- Hospice and Palliative Care at Mayo Clinic, AZ
- Fellowship-trained EM ultrasound directors guide residents through the program from basic to advanced ultrasound skills
- EM US rotation as a PGY1 and PGY3
- EM Ultrasound Fellowship
- Resident didactic ultrasound curriculum designed to cycle twice in residency
- Ultrasound workshops for hands-on training (boot camp, critical care, cadaver lab, nerve block, MSK)
- Annual Ultrasound Games
- Ultrasound simulations in the high-fidelity sim lab
- Core Ultrasound Qbank
- Ultrasound journal club
- Our institution hosted a total of 496 medical student rotations in 2022-2023
- Endless opportunities to teach medical students through our academic partnership with UCR
- Opportunities to do clinical teaching, didactic teaching, simulation teaching, and ultrasound teaching
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee
- Institution-wide diversity dashboard
- LGBTQ+ Committee
- JW Vines Undergraduate Mentorship
- Medical Student Mentorship
- Street Medicine Clinic
- Border Health Elective
- Medical Spanish Elective