Welcome from our program director
Thank you for your interest in the Infectious Diseases Fellowship Training Program at Southern Hills Hospital & Medical Center, a member of the HCA Healthcare Graduate Medical Education family.
About our program
Southern Hills Hospital and Medical Center, one of the 250 bests hospitals in America is home to our program as well as 4 successful medical residencies and 2 fellowships. The vast array of advanced medical technologies and infrastructure available will provide you with an excellent training environment supported by a culture of excellence in medical education.
The experiences the COVID-19 pandemic brought to Southern Nevada highlighted the critical need to train excellent infectious disease clinicians as part of a workforce that responds to complex crises. It is not enough to know about the importance of public health work. Rather, it is imperative to be a force multiplier with experiential understanding of how health departments benefit the populations they serve. The last 3 years have reminded the world of the importance of our work in infectious diseases and has reiterated the value we add to society's well-being through public-private partnerships. We are training the ID physician workforce of the future with the lessons learned from the COVID-19 pandemic at a local and national level.
Las Vegas is a rapidly growing city with so much to offer! It is the entertainment capital of the world, and rapidly growing to be an important player in destination healthcare. Nevada has faced incredible healthcare challenges compounded by our rapid growth. We strive to continually improve our healthcare offerings and grow the needed infrastructure for Nevadans and visitors alike to receive world class healthcare.
- PGY 4: $64,438
- PGY5: $67,330
$1,000.00 stipend for Orientation.
$1,000.00 stipend for Orientation.
Get to know the team
Luis Medina-Garcia, MD, FIDSA
- Health benefits, including medical, vision, dental
- Long-term disability insurance, life insurance, and 401K
- Membership with Infectious Disease Society of America, and the Southern Nevada Infectious Disease Society
- Physicians lounge access
- US Citizens or individuals with permanent resident status (green card).
- Successful completion of an ACGME or AOA Residency.
- Eligible for Nevada licensure.
- Applicants not meeting all the requirements may be reviewed for individual merit at the discretion of the selection committee. Applications will be accepted only through ERAS.
- Background and skills that would facilitate the care of underserved demographics within the region will be considered.
- Professional and ethical behavior meeting the highest standard.
- Applicants must be processed through a mandatory background check.
- Applicants not meeting all the requirements may be reviewed for individual merit at the discretion of the selection committee.
Curriculum and rotation schedule
Southern Hills Hospital and Medical Center: caring for hospitalized patients with infectious diseases, consultations, antimicrobial stewardship, and wound care.
Sunrise Hospital and Medical Center: caring for hospitalized pediatric patients with infectious diseases, consultations for pediatric patients, and clinical microbiology.
Southern Nevada Health District: continuity clinic, HIV clinic, sexually transmitted infections clinic, and tuberculosis clinic.
- Clinical microbiology
- Inpatient infectious disease
- Inpatient pediatric infectious disease
- Research/ quality improvement
- Sexually transmitted infections clinic
- Transplant infectious disease
- Travel vaccine clinic
- Tuberculosis clinic
- Wound care clinic